2.26.2018

🎵you're the inspiraaaaation🎵

Here is something that I'm constantly wanting more of, while simultaneously thinking I don't have any access to: inspiration. Since I talk a lot about religion and belief on this blog, this is just a clarification that I am not talking about spiritual inspiration. Dis alllll 'bout creative inspiration--which, to me, does involve spirituality, but not the kind you're thinking of right now.

I'm constantly bombarded by distractions; some of my own creation, others more external. Recently, I've run my mouth about Instagram/social media, which to me might be the #1 Biggest Distraction for Most People on the Planet Right Now. And I don't just mean the surface-level type distraction (you constantly pick up your phone to scroll when you're bored or just sitting on your butt). I'm talking about the kind of distraction that makes you think you're not doing enough, other people are "better" than you, and basically, your life sucks. I think this should be called Soul Distraction, because it's the adversary's way of making you forget who you are and what you were born to do. And when you forget that, suddenly everything is pointless and why bother?

Maya Angelou said "You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." 

Isn't that a relief? So, when you think your well is dry, all you have to do is stop trying to be perfect for a minute or a few minutes or hours, and go for a walk, or flip through a cookbook, or listen to a favorite song. The only rule is that you can't do something that stops the flow of brain juice. This is obviously because inspiration requires using your brain, and if you're vegetating on your couch looking at a screen, the opposite of inspiration will begin to stir (read: that annoying "soul distraction").

Something I have always loved to do is make inspiration lists. These are the things I know will inspire me if I do them or think about them or write about them. These are foolproof. Everyone's list is different, and maybe it will help you to write one down and keep it near whenever you start to fall into a pit of self-despair and volcanic rocks (volcanic rocks are the worst kind because they're scratchy and very hard, and falling on one can give you a giant scar, don't ask me how I know).

The other rule is to not care if whatever you produce/do is "bad." If you procrastinate doing or creating something until it's "perfect," it will not ever get done. Perfection is the enemy. It's way easier to produce something awful right when you think of it, and then go back and polish it later. At least you've produced something! Staring at a blank page makes your morale plummet to the basement, like the elevator in You've Got Mail. Waiting to go for a run until your posture is perfect and you no longer look like a toad slouching to the nearest puddle means you'll probably never go on that run. Just go. Right now. Well, put on pants first.



McKenzie's Inspiration-Station
Going on a walk, preferably when the sun is setting
Going for a run (I guess moving my body is good for me, wow, such surprise very insight)
Reading a book (or pretty much anything; the only rule is it can't be on the internet)
Make a playlist on Spotify, then clean the house while listening to it
Paint! Draw! Embroider
Write a letter 
Put away the laundry for crying out loud
Take a shower (there's got to be studies on this phenomenon by now)
Read scriptures (this opens up all kinds of inspiration that you didn't even know you wanted)



No comments:

Post a Comment