10.24.2015

just some whining about dating, how very original


I just made THEACTUALBESTBEEFSTEWOMG and then I poured it over cheesy polenta and while I ate it I decided on a good time to go get froyo later. I'm basically dating myself. That's what all single people should do, right? Isn't that some hipster quote on a meme-instagram? Memestagram. Idk.

Today I watched a lil' documentary that apparently played in between conference sessions, but I was sleeping during that time, so I didn't see it. It was about marriage/dating/relationships, especially in regards to millennials. Do you see where this is going? DO YOU? Yes. To froyo. But not till 8 o'clock when everyone in Logan is at the HOWL and subsequently not at Yogurtland. Yay.

But really, dating. Why is it this mysterious concept to some (maybe most?) of us...? Examples. I have gotten "asked out" (yes I am putting that in quotes and I have REASONS) via social media two times as of late. While there's nothing wrong with using social media to make connections with people, sometimes I think it becomes a little bit too convenient. It makes it too easy to judge whether we like/don't like someone, based on their profile pic or their tinder bio or the funny things they tweet. And yo, everyone tweets funny stuff. That's all Twitter is. My point is, it's edited. There's an English-y word for this: a simulacrum. It means "a copy of a copy."

The best example I can think of a simulacrum besides social media is Main Street USA in Disneyland. Main Street USA is an imitation, or copy, of this ideal neighborhood which, in fact, does not exist. Social media does the same thing to human beans. We're all trying to show each other we have the "perfect" life, but what does that even mean?! WUT DOES IT MEAN.

Another thing that bugs about dating in this day and age is I'm often wondering, "Isss....this a date? I can't tell." I thought a date was a pretty clearly defined activity, but honestly it's getting harder to tell. When a guy asks me to hang out/come over/eat pizza, and I don't even know him in real life, I think "Okay....umm....wait...but I don't know you. Are you sure you wanna hang with me?" It wouldn't be as weird if they just asked me on a date, flat-out. But this culture of being afraid that the person you go on a date with is either a) your spouse or b) not, makes it easier to say "let's hang out." And so, I am never 100% confident of the boy's intentions, and I balk and want to run away. Balk. What a weird word.

I'm rammmblingggggg. Maybe I need that froyo now. No...must...resist....can't...be...seen...in...public...by...a student...

This documentary talked all about the backwards view that millennials have of dating. They think that they need to spend a certain amount of time with someone before they commit...and then they never actually do the committing. The documentary interviewed dozens of couples, some that have been married a few years, some for 70-something years, and some in between. They all had the same thing in common--commitment. They said that good, strong relationship come after we commit, not before. Duh! But we, being millennials trained to wait for the perfect person before we take a risk, get scared, and then don't do anything. I am soooooooo guilty of this. Like, so guilty. I'm trying to get out of that funk right now. It's easy when I'm literally doing homework from dawn until dusk, and can't ever do anything social (besides going to froyo by myself). Ha. Such sarcasm, very sass.

I want to be content with life right now, and life for me is basically school and making delicious foods for me, myself, and I. But I also don't want to scare myself from being in relationships because of how convenient it is to get out of one (because of social media). You know?

McKenzie, the Dating Connoisseur. (Tombstone Rough Draft Idea #1) (Because I Might Be Dead Before This Is Actually True)


2 comments:

  1. Your thoughts on the matter are poignant, funny and important, just like you. The struggle really is real. I know it's all part of the plan. Thanks for putting into words what do many people feel. I know it helps. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. let's talk logan weekends cuz girl - we need to chat IRL. i've considered tinder again at least 3x this week which sort of makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete