1.03.2018

i want the internet to stop



It's 2018, and almost everything I want for myself is the same. There's just one thing I want, but can't control.

I want the internet to stop.

I restarted (re-signed up? What is a good word for this?) a Twitter account because I was bored at my library job. I know that every good story has to have some element of tension or it won’t last, it won’t hold up. And nothing on the internet is inspiring me anymore because it's lost its tension for me, unless it’s old poems someone that’s already dead has written and left behind. Or old photographs. Things that are no longer with us. The present offerings are too weak to sustain me. Consuming time on the internet is the equivalent of Quaker Rice Cakes. I don’t care if you think the chocolate chip ones are good. They’re just rice bits puffed with air and a side of chocolate air.

Last time I had Twitter, it was 2015 and I was gettin' a little tired of every single tweet making fun of another person or their lifestyle, all for the sake of likes. Like, can you get a new hobby? Would you say that kind of crud to the person if they were standing in front of you? Probably not. The worst are people re-tweeting quotes about kindness and then in the next tweet they're posting a picture of a blogger they hate and commenting on how much they hate it and AH

RICE CAKES, I TELL YOU.

This is not to say that I'm any better at this than those I'm calling out. I've probably rolled my eyes at 75% of every Instagram/Facebook post that's come across my way, but it's starting to have an effect on me. And maybe it doesn't bother anyone else and THAT IS COOL good for you, but I have become familiar with that twisty snake feeling in my stomach that says "You could be doing something better with your life."

Because how you spend your time is how you spend your life.

And so I'm gonna write on this dang blog even if nobody reads it. I'm going to stop comparing myself to every silly post I see on the internet and I'm going to take more walks to remind myself that what internet strangers think of me is utterly pointless.





1 comment: