12.21.2013

tales of Christmas past

CHRITMAS CHRITMAS! I was talking to my amigo the other day and spelled the word wrong because I Was SO esccxciTED. Sooo much excite. Much wow. Very presents.

When my broski and I were younger, we would get really into it, like all the kids everywhere in the whole universe of time and space do.

Fiiirst of all, our Grandpa Alan would take us to Toys R Us (I dunno how to make the "R" go backwards, guys, deal with it) and we would have our reams of paper, I'm talking like SCROLLS, and we'd go to town. Isaac would go to the video game aisle and write down errythang he wanted. Which was basically the whole aisle. And I'd go to...well I'd go to the Barbie aisle (duh), the art supplies aisle, the As-Seen-on-TV aisle (because of the sand play-doh, remember?!), the puzzles aisle, the basically-everything-except-the-video-game-aisle-with-the-exception-of-Pokemon. I'd end up with about 150 things on my list. Wish I was exaggerating. So then I would choose my "favorites," and would narrow it down to 140 things. I mean.

image
ChritMaS.

Another great tradition our familia had whilst I was a youngun was doing "Secret Santa" for a family every year. One year will stand out in my mind forever. I bet you're expecting a sentimental story, but I don't think I can pull one off after leaving that gif up there...

I have plenty of sentimental Christmas stories. Don't worry. But they will be saved for another post on another person's blog.

So it was nighttime, riiight? We had to do our Christmas-present-leaving in the dark of night, because #stealth. Also it was foggy like it usually is in Oregon in the wintertime, so it was perffect for playing ninja. But we weren't there to play ninja! Focus, McFrenzy. We were leaving presents. So we had to drop them off on the people's porch perfectly (yeah alliteration!!!), AND ring the doorbell, AND run away..??!! Ha! Can you just imagine the excitement and terror simultaneously building up inside my child heart?! It was insane in the membrane, yo. Luckily I was not appointed as the doorbell-ringer that year. I usually had a panic attack when it was my turn (I wasn't a teenager yet and so I didn't know how to doorbell ditch yet because I didn't know how to waste my time on the weekends yet). So the task fell to Isaac. Isaac, who wore socks with his slip-on athletic sandals.

Behold:


Do you see where this is going? Straight to you-know-where (#notAustralia)

So my parents were in the getaway car (or as I like to call it, the minivan). Isaac and I finished putting everything on the porch, and I started to run as fast as my midget legs would carry me, not thinking of my poor brother and the duty he had to do. I remember looking back and kind of seeing his face and I think I was trying to be sympathetic but instead I did a little somethin-somethin like:


image
ChrITmas.

He shrugged, rang the gong, and busted a move. I mean like lit'rally, started running, but the poor dude didn't get very far because of those socks+athletic sandals. It all happened in slow-mo. I saw his foot catch, and slip right out of those sandals, and then his gangly white body just went flying. It soared. Majestic.


Well, as you can imagine, I started to really panic then because he was completely flat on their lawn, just groaning or something, and he had just rung their doorbell so they could've come out at any moment and seen a gangly white boy on their lawn, and it definitely wasn't sun-tanning weather sooo what explanation was there???? 

"Um hai I was just...taking a walk..on Christmas Eve...and your lawn looked comfy." HA. Well we were all frozen in time as we waited for Isaac to get up, which he did in the nick of time, and joined me behind our hiding place bush, and Christmas was saved.

Whenever I think of that story to myself I just....


And last but not least, there's the Nativity. Every year it gets crazier and more ridiculous, instead of reverent and relaxing. Here's a gem from last year. Please read it. The photos just make it more glorious.

GUYS. Have a Merry Christmas! I'll probably blog again before my next birfday. Oh gash that's in 2 weeks HElp.


image

p.s. how many gifs is too many? also how many of you almost-swore when you scrolled down and saw this?

No comments:

Post a Comment